Tortilla Soup with Grilled Chicken
Serves 4; 1 1/4 cups per serving
- Cooking spray
- 2 6-inch corn tortillas, halved, then cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 2 cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 8-ounce can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 6 ounces cubed grilled skinless chicken breast, cooked without salt, all visible fat discarded
- 1 small yellow summer squash (about 4 ounces), diced
- 1 small zucchini (about 4 ounces), diced
- 1/2 cup frozen whole-kernel corn
- 1 teaspoon salt-free all-purpose seasoning blend
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup shredded low-fat Cheddar cheese
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Arrange the tortilla strips in a single layer on the baking sheet. Lightly spray with cooking spray.
Bake for 10 minutes, or until crisp.
Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, bring the remaining ingredients except the Cheddar to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for about 15 minutes.
Just before serving, sprinkle the soup with the tortilla strips and Cheddar.
Nutrition Analysis (per serving)
- Calories: 168
- Total Fat: 4.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.0 g
- Trans Fat: 0.0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.0 g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 2.0 g
- Cholesterol: 38 mg
- Sodium: 288 mg
- Carbohydrates: 15 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Sugars: 5 g
- Protein: 19 g
1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat
This recipe is reprinted with permission from Healthy Recipes for Your Heart. Copyright © 2016 by the American Heart Association. Available on ShopHeart.org, while supplies last.